When considering the nursing home option for parents or other loved ones, here are a few of the main advantages to keep to mind:
Better resources and equipment: Private homes simply don’t have the types of medical equipment and supplies needed to help seniors stay healthy. Many nursing homes are almost as advanced as hospitals in their ability to provide sophisticated care for patients on a 24-hour basis.
High-quality long-term care: Due to modern medicine, seniors now live longer than ever. While we’re thankful for this, longer life-spans often come with longer periods of late-life illness and disability. Caring for a senior relative at home is often a long-term commitment of many years, sometimes requiring intensive care.
Best Ways to Find Home Health Nurse in Mantua
Elderly Homecare - Tips to Make it Work
Many seniors have trouble getting around their homes safely, leaving families with some tough decisions. Whether or not an elderly family member should move into an assisted living facility is often one of the key questions. However, home care is a viable option with many great benefits.
1. Homecare allows seniors to retain a sense of independence and freedom as they age. They can leave their home to go wherever they please whenever suits them best. Similarly, they can eat when they are hungry as opposed to when meals are served to them. Maintaining this sense of dignity is important, as it is something many seniors fear losing.
2. When the elderly live at home they are able to keep their physical possessions close at hand. The things they love do not have to be placed in storage as a result of moving into a smaller space. Many of these objects are tied to priceless memories, so it is understandable that a senior wouldn't want to part with them. Additionally, most retirement homes do not allow pets. At home, seniors can keep any pets they've grown attached to, which has been scientifically proven to reduce stress.
3. Those who live at home often have an easier time staying connected with friends and family. There aren't any visiting hours at home and the number of visitors allowed at any one time is not limited.
4. Living at home should help seniors stay healthier, as they won't be subjected to the all the germs that inevitably linger at a place where many people live. Those who are sick can simply be asked not visit until they are feeling better.
5. Home care allows the elderly to avoid the emotional stress of moving to a new place with new people and a new routine. Maintaining continuity leads to psychological wellbeing.
6. Assisted living facilities are costly and the location may be inconvenient, making it difficult for family members to visit. Many seniors have already paid off their mortgage, so moving to a retirement home is an added expense. With few exceptions, home care is a more fiscally responsible choice.
7. Finally, most seniors who live at home are far happier than they would be if they moved into an assisted living facility. The comforts of home are truly invaluable.
There are now many products and services that make living at home both feasible and affordable. Enhanced security systems, emergency panic buttons, and home delivered meals are just a few of the options to choose from. If your elderly family member wants to live at home, honoring that wish is now easier than ever before.
Choosing A Senior Citizens' Residence Or Nursing Home In Barbados
Older people might not develop diseases such as osteoporosis, arthritis and similar, however these conditions are easier developed by the senior population than by the younger among us. Sadly they are higher risk people and the caregiver has the obligation to help them reduce these risks whenever possible.
It is important that the home is a safe haven for the seniors. Falling anywhere in the home can happen easily so reducing the risks of them having an accident is important. When the person is leaving their home or returning back, particular care needs to be taken with curbs and slippery areas. Most of the injuries though happen at home, so this is why it is important for the caregiver or the family to ensure proper safety as well as making the room easily accessible.
Stairs are usually high risk for elderly simply because the older a person gets, the more difficult it becomes to go up or down the stairs due to arthritis and the inability of bending the knees as one used to do. Stairs can be poorly lit which makes them even more dangerous. In some places installing a stair lift should solve many of the problems that staircases present to the seniors. However having proper lit stairways is important as well regardless whether there is a lift or not in the house.
Proper lighting is useful in the entire home, not only around the stairs. Various corridors and tighter areas should have small lamps for ensuring that there are no dark areas in the home. Many people install sensor lights whereby the light will turn on anytime there is motion around the area. After a few minutes the light turns off automatically, which makes sure that there are no high electricity bills running due to leaving the light on all day and night.
The bathroom is another room in the house that needs special handling when a senior citizen is living there. Proper lighting gives an additional layer of safety in the bathroom. The place should be well lit and light switches should be easily accessible upon entrance.
As the bathroom floor tends to be slippery by nature due to the water splashed, regular carpet mats should be replaced with non-slip mats that do not move and slide around. Sometimes commercial mats such as those used in the kitchen can work quite well too. Also adding grabbing bars next to the toilet, sink area, as well as the shower is a great idea and will enhance the safety of the person using the bathroom. Even towel bars could be replaced by grab bars for added security.
Finally adding wide non-skid tape to high-risk places, such staircases, curb areas and bathroom floors makes the home additionally safe for elderly, and not to forget small children, who are very easy to fall and bruise as well.