When considering the nursing home option for parents or other loved ones, here are a few of the main advantages to keep to mind:
Better resources and equipment: Private homes simply don’t have the types of medical equipment and supplies needed to help seniors stay healthy. Many nursing homes are almost as advanced as hospitals in their ability to provide sophisticated care for patients on a 24-hour basis.
High-quality long-term care: Due to modern medicine, seniors now live longer than ever. While we’re thankful for this, longer life-spans often come with longer periods of late-life illness and disability. Caring for a senior relative at home is often a long-term commitment of many years, sometimes requiring intensive care.
Best Ways to Find Non Medical Home Care in East Hanover
Community Elder Care
Communication is an important aspect of healthy and independent living. Communication not only involves talking and writing but we also need to listen, watch, sense and read language.
Some seniors experience decreased senses (vision, hearing). Communication aids can make communication easier.
Some communication aids and tips include:
- pens and pencils that are thicker or wrapped in rubber so that it is easier to grasp
- heavier pens and pencils are easier to use for people who have shaky hands
- heavy lined paper and a thick pen tip for those with decreased vision
- a computer as you can increase the font and can print in large thick font
- computers can also have adapted keyboards, mouses, accessible programs (large font, etc) and even voice recognition programs that translate voice into text
- ensure proper lighting
- use a magnifier
- consider a magnifier with a built in light
- page turners
- books and other media in audio format (audio books)
- speech devices that display message on screen
- picture based computer or print based systems
- letter and symbol boards
- voice amplifiers
- hearing aids
- headset amplifiers
- door bell and telephone conversion (light and bell signals)
- amplified telephone
- large buttons and display on phone
- picture based speed dial buttons
- voice operated telephone
- loud ringer and/or light based signal
- teletypewriter (TTY) device for those who are hearing impaired
- large remote control
- large TV screen
- use captioning option on TV
In Home Hospice Care: How It Helps
When people get a certain age, it becomes more difficult for them to take care of themselves. This can be because they cannot reach well enough to do so or even because a disorder prevents it. To help your loved one in your family with personal care, there are elderly hygiene products you can get for them. Many seniors appreciate these products greatly because they are embarrassed to ask for help. In addition, they would rather have products they can use themselves instead of having another person help them with this personal matter.
One of the elderly hygiene products you might find useful for your loved one is for the bathroom. Sometimes seniors are not able to fully reach where they need to, so it makes using the bathroom difficult. There is a product that actually holds the bath tissue at the end of a long handle, so it is easier to reach. This also works great for seniors with arthritis who cannot hold items well. Along the lines of this, there is a long handles hair brush. This makes taking care of their hair easier for them to do because they do not have to worry about missing a spot in the back if they cannot reach.
If taking care of their nails is the issue, there are elderly hygiene products that can help them. For their toenails, there is an extended reach cutter that helps them cut their toenails without having to bend down too far. For their fingers, there is a table top cutter that helps steady the clippers. You also could get them a lotion applicator that helps seniors apply lotion easier. It is a handle that has lotion at the end of it, so all they have to do is rub the handle on their body and they instantly have applied lotion.
There are elderly hygiene products for people who cannot bath themselves. They have the option of using no rinse bathing wipes, which make it easier to clean yourself without having to get into the tub. There also is a sponge on a stick for those who still can bath but cannot reach well enough. The handle is long enough so they can reach everywhere they need to reach without straining themselves. There are shampoo and shower basins for seniors who cannot leave their bed. We can help you with our full line of senior products.