When considering the nursing home option for parents or other loved ones, here are a few of the main advantages to keep to mind:
Better resources and equipment: Private homes simply don’t have the types of medical equipment and supplies needed to help seniors stay healthy. Many nursing homes are almost as advanced as hospitals in their ability to provide sophisticated care for patients on a 24-hour basis.
High-quality long-term care: Due to modern medicine, seniors now live longer than ever. While we’re thankful for this, longer life-spans often come with longer periods of late-life illness and disability. Caring for a senior relative at home is often a long-term commitment of many years, sometimes requiring intensive care.
Best Ways to Find 24 Hour Home Care in Flagtown
The Advantages of Home Care For the Elderly
If you are a caregiver for an elderly person it is important that you are aware of a common issue that can occur with many seniors. Many seniors will be wakening in the night and be disoriented. This can lead them to get out of bed and have a fall or even try to leave their homes in the night. This is a problem that may not seem serious but it can have very serious ramifications. You will need to be prepared to deal with elderly disorientation at night if you are a caregiver. The following tips can give you some guidelines to help the elderly in your care and keep them safe at night, no matter how they wake-
• Make their bed safe - The first step in making sure that the elder person does not hurt himself or herself upon waking with disorientation is to make their bed safe. The disorientation that many elderly feel often occurs right at waking. This makes it crucial that you take safety measures before they even get up. You can do this by adding safety rails to the bed to keep them from falling out. In addition, the safety rails can also function as grab bars which can help them to sit up safely and get their bearings.
• Prevent falls from happening - The number one type of accident that occurs with seniors who are disoriented at night is falls. Falls can be very serious and even life threatening. This makes it crucial that you do everything you can in order to prevent falls from happening. Lighting is the number one way to help prevent falls. There are motion sensors lights that turn on as someone approaches them. In addition, rugs should be non slip and there should be a clear path for the senior to travel to the bathroom and the kitchen at night.
• Consider the effects of medication - Elder people take a lot of prescriptions. This makes it important that if the senior person in your care is taking any kind of medication and is experiencing disorientation at night (or any time), then you should consider the medication that they are taking. Sometimes all it takes to resolve nighttime disorientation is talking to the doctor and switching medications. This is especially important if the senior is taking several medications which could be causing this effect by being mixed together.
• Alarm the doors of the home - If the senior in your care is experiencing nighttime disorientation it is important to consider if they can leave the home at night. Unfortunately, the elderly can often become so mixed up at night that they leave their home and are exposed to all sorts of problems when outside at night. If your elderly loved one is having this problem it is important to make sure that any door that they can leave through is alarmed. This will then wake someone and allow them the chance to stop the senior before they get outside.
• Consult a doctor if the problem is chronic - It is important to understand that nighttime disorientation in seniors is not a regular part of aging. While everyone can have moments of nighttime disorientation, if the problem is becoming chronic then you should consult a doctor. Chronic nighttime disorientation can be sign of a serious medical issue and treatment should be sought immediately. Only by having a medical checkup can the doctor diagnose if there is another problem that is occurring. Do not assume that your loved one is simply aging. You should get a medical consultation to determine what the underlying cause is.
Choosing A Senior Citizens' Residence Or Nursing Home In Barbados
When people get a certain age, it becomes more difficult for them to take care of themselves. This can be because they cannot reach well enough to do so or even because a disorder prevents it. To help your loved one in your family with personal care, there are elderly hygiene products you can get for them. Many seniors appreciate these products greatly because they are embarrassed to ask for help. In addition, they would rather have products they can use themselves instead of having another person help them with this personal matter.
One of the elderly hygiene products you might find useful for your loved one is for the bathroom. Sometimes seniors are not able to fully reach where they need to, so it makes using the bathroom difficult. There is a product that actually holds the bath tissue at the end of a long handle, so it is easier to reach. This also works great for seniors with arthritis who cannot hold items well. Along the lines of this, there is a long handles hair brush. This makes taking care of their hair easier for them to do because they do not have to worry about missing a spot in the back if they cannot reach.
If taking care of their nails is the issue, there are elderly hygiene products that can help them. For their toenails, there is an extended reach cutter that helps them cut their toenails without having to bend down too far. For their fingers, there is a table top cutter that helps steady the clippers. You also could get them a lotion applicator that helps seniors apply lotion easier. It is a handle that has lotion at the end of it, so all they have to do is rub the handle on their body and they instantly have applied lotion.
There are elderly hygiene products for people who cannot bath themselves. They have the option of using no rinse bathing wipes, which make it easier to clean yourself without having to get into the tub. There also is a sponge on a stick for those who still can bath but cannot reach well enough. The handle is long enough so they can reach everywhere they need to reach without straining themselves. There are shampoo and shower basins for seniors who cannot leave their bed. We can help you with our full line of senior products.