When considering the nursing home option for parents or other loved ones, here are a few of the main advantages to keep to mind:
Better resources and equipment: Private homes simply don’t have the types of medical equipment and supplies needed to help seniors stay healthy. Many nursing homes are almost as advanced as hospitals in their ability to provide sophisticated care for patients on a 24-hour basis.
High-quality long-term care: Due to modern medicine, seniors now live longer than ever. While we’re thankful for this, longer life-spans often come with longer periods of late-life illness and disability. Caring for a senior relative at home is often a long-term commitment of many years, sometimes requiring intensive care.
Best Ways to Find Non Medical Home Care in Morganville
Should an Elderly Person Be Sent to a Nursing Home?
Many seniors have trouble getting around their homes safely, leaving families with some tough decisions. Whether or not an elderly family member should move into an assisted living facility is often one of the key questions. However, home care is a viable option with many great benefits.
1. Homecare allows seniors to retain a sense of independence and freedom as they age. They can leave their home to go wherever they please whenever suits them best. Similarly, they can eat when they are hungry as opposed to when meals are served to them. Maintaining this sense of dignity is important, as it is something many seniors fear losing.
2. When the elderly live at home they are able to keep their physical possessions close at hand. The things they love do not have to be placed in storage as a result of moving into a smaller space. Many of these objects are tied to priceless memories, so it is understandable that a senior wouldn't want to part with them. Additionally, most retirement homes do not allow pets. At home, seniors can keep any pets they've grown attached to, which has been scientifically proven to reduce stress.
3. Those who live at home often have an easier time staying connected with friends and family. There aren't any visiting hours at home and the number of visitors allowed at any one time is not limited.
4. Living at home should help seniors stay healthier, as they won't be subjected to the all the germs that inevitably linger at a place where many people live. Those who are sick can simply be asked not visit until they are feeling better.
5. Home care allows the elderly to avoid the emotional stress of moving to a new place with new people and a new routine. Maintaining continuity leads to psychological wellbeing.
6. Assisted living facilities are costly and the location may be inconvenient, making it difficult for family members to visit. Many seniors have already paid off their mortgage, so moving to a retirement home is an added expense. With few exceptions, home care is a more fiscally responsible choice.
7. Finally, most seniors who live at home are far happier than they would be if they moved into an assisted living facility. The comforts of home are truly invaluable.
There are now many products and services that make living at home both feasible and affordable. Enhanced security systems, emergency panic buttons, and home delivered meals are just a few of the options to choose from. If your elderly family member wants to live at home, honoring that wish is now easier than ever before.
Elderly Hygiene Products - Personal Care Products For Seniors
When people get a certain age, it becomes more difficult for them to take care of themselves. This can be because they cannot reach well enough to do so or even because a disorder prevents it. To help your loved one in your family with personal care, there are elderly hygiene products you can get for them. Many seniors appreciate these products greatly because they are embarrassed to ask for help. In addition, they would rather have products they can use themselves instead of having another person help them with this personal matter.
One of the elderly hygiene products you might find useful for your loved one is for the bathroom. Sometimes seniors are not able to fully reach where they need to, so it makes using the bathroom difficult. There is a product that actually holds the bath tissue at the end of a long handle, so it is easier to reach. This also works great for seniors with arthritis who cannot hold items well. Along the lines of this, there is a long handles hair brush. This makes taking care of their hair easier for them to do because they do not have to worry about missing a spot in the back if they cannot reach.
If taking care of their nails is the issue, there are elderly hygiene products that can help them. For their toenails, there is an extended reach cutter that helps them cut their toenails without having to bend down too far. For their fingers, there is a table top cutter that helps steady the clippers. You also could get them a lotion applicator that helps seniors apply lotion easier. It is a handle that has lotion at the end of it, so all they have to do is rub the handle on their body and they instantly have applied lotion.
There are elderly hygiene products for people who cannot bath themselves. They have the option of using no rinse bathing wipes, which make it easier to clean yourself without having to get into the tub. There also is a sponge on a stick for those who still can bath but cannot reach well enough. The handle is long enough so they can reach everywhere they need to reach without straining themselves. There are shampoo and shower basins for seniors who cannot leave their bed. We can help you with our full line of senior products.