When considering the nursing home option for parents or other loved ones, here are a few of the main advantages to keep to mind:
Better resources and equipment: Private homes simply don’t have the types of medical equipment and supplies needed to help seniors stay healthy. Many nursing homes are almost as advanced as hospitals in their ability to provide sophisticated care for patients on a 24-hour basis.
High-quality long-term care: Due to modern medicine, seniors now live longer than ever. While we’re thankful for this, longer life-spans often come with longer periods of late-life illness and disability. Caring for a senior relative at home is often a long-term commitment of many years, sometimes requiring intensive care.
Best Ways to Find Caregiver in Old Bridge
Should an Elderly Person Be Sent to a Nursing Home?
Communication is an important aspect of healthy and independent living. Communication not only involves talking and writing but we also need to listen, watch, sense and read language.
Some seniors experience decreased senses (vision, hearing). Communication aids can make communication easier.
Some communication aids and tips include:
- pens and pencils that are thicker or wrapped in rubber so that it is easier to grasp
- heavier pens and pencils are easier to use for people who have shaky hands
- heavy lined paper and a thick pen tip for those with decreased vision
- a computer as you can increase the font and can print in large thick font
- computers can also have adapted keyboards, mouses, accessible programs (large font, etc) and even voice recognition programs that translate voice into text
- ensure proper lighting
- use a magnifier
- consider a magnifier with a built in light
- page turners
- books and other media in audio format (audio books)
- speech devices that display message on screen
- picture based computer or print based systems
- letter and symbol boards
- voice amplifiers
- hearing aids
- headset amplifiers
- door bell and telephone conversion (light and bell signals)
- amplified telephone
- large buttons and display on phone
- picture based speed dial buttons
- voice operated telephone
- loud ringer and/or light based signal
- teletypewriter (TTY) device for those who are hearing impaired
- large remote control
- large TV screen
- use captioning option on TV
Cost of Elderly Health Care
Community elder care helps to highlight elder care issues in the community and solve the problems faced by elderly people. It plays a vital role in tackling the problems of anxiety, depression, stress, life crisis and grief found in elders.
Adult homes in a community are perfect places to give elder care under the guidance of qualified personnel. Fitness programs scheduled in the community provides physical health and mental relaxation. Competitive and health focused programs conducted in senior centers; parks and recreation places are very useful in creating a happy living for elders.
Community medical personnel make monthly visits to the elderly in their area to make sure that their health issues are addressed and treated if necessary. These regular visits are vital to the well being of senior citizens in the community. Community based programs are conducted to give them a common place to gather and partake in various activities include walks, talent shows, etc. Getting together and sharing feelings of happiness and distress is a great relief from loneliness for elders.
There are interactive classes that enlighten the community on how to share in elderly care. These classes also give advice on how to detect signs of neglect, exploitation, health issues and safety measures.
Community health improvement programs for elders are made possible through fund raising. These funds can be utilized to serve elders in various ways including providing meals, medical treatment and proper housing. Community nursing services are also provided for elderly people who are incapable of independent living. Education in chronic disease management is useful in regulating tension and fear about a particular disease. Legal assistance should be given to solve problems of expulsion, financial and other civil matters. Several referral and outreach services provide programs for handicapped elders.